Calling artists and designers living in Hampshire and the Isle of Wight! John Hansard Gallery, part of University of Southampton, in partnership with Art Asia, are seeking expressions of interest from early-career artists to collaborate with Permindar Kaur on a new co-creative public art project for the Southampton Mela in July 2024.
Mela Monument is part of the Co-Creating Public Space, a project which aims to give local communities in Southampton agency to engage with and activate our shared public spaces. Mela Monument project celebrates South Asian arts, culture and community contribution promoting multicultural heritage, identity, and festivity.
In the UK, Mela is one of the most popular forms of festival, celebrating and representing the evolving and rightful existence of the diverse British cultures and communities. The word ‘mela’ itself, is based on the Sanskrit word meaning a community gathering or meeting. Mela festivals in the UK, in their many forms, has remained true to this broad sense of families, people and communities congregating together in an atmosphere of festivity.
· Shortlisted artists will be invited to a group meeting on Friday 24 November to find out more about the project and meet the team.
· Shortlisted artists will be invited go to a second stage interview on Friday 8 December.
· Two selected artists will be commissioned to collaborate on Mela Monument. The commissioned artworks will respond to the themes of Mela and the aims of Co-Creating Public Space.
· Both artists will be offered mentoring sessions by Permindar Kaur.
· Each shortlisted artist will receive £360 (inclusive of attending the meeting on 24 November), enabling them to spend time on developing their idea and approach to the key themes.
· Two selected artists will receive an additional £2,220 each to undertake the co-creative commission and process. Mela Monument production costs will be covered separately.
Click here to submit your application.
Deadline for Expressions of Interest: Thursday 16 November 2023 at 6pm
For further information and any questions, please email [email protected]